The Australian education system consists of three levels: primary education (primary school), secondary education (junior and high school) and higher education (university and vocational college). Next, let’s explore more about the Australian education system.
1. Primary Education (Primary School)
The primary education in Australia lasts 7 or 8 years, from kindergarten/preschool to 6th or 7th grade. Due to the regulations of different states and territories, the compulsory education age for students may start earlier or later. Some states will end primary school in sixth grade and begin part of the secondary school system.
2. Secondary Education (Junior and High School)
Junior high school: 3 or 4 years, for grades 7-10 or 8-10.
High school: 2 years, 11th and 12th grade.
Primary and secondary education in Australia is compulsory education (from grade 1 to grade 9 or grade 10) from 6 to 16 years old. Primary and secondary education has a total of 13 years. Students who have completed high school studies (grades 11 and 12) in Australia can obtain formal academic qualifications after passing the examination. The certificate is widely recognized by Australian universities, higher education institutions, vocational education and training institutions and many international education institutions.
3. Higher Education (Universities and Vocational Colleges)
Australian higher education includes higher education above university (including university education) and vocational education and training (VET). English is the official language of Australia and the main language of instruction in the education system. Australia’s higher education ranks first in the world.
Australian universities mainly provide three types of higher education courses, which award bachelor’s degree, master’s degree and doctorate respectively. In Australia, many students enroll in a double degree or a joint degree bachelor’s degree program to obtain two bachelor’s degrees.
The Australian Vocational Education and Training (VET) course is a cooperative project between the government and industry. The VET qualification certificate is issued by the vocational technical and continuing education (TAFE) college established by the government and many private training institutions. Many VET courses include a period of internship, which means that students not only receive classroom instruction, but also gain valuable industry practical experience in a real working environment.
4. Australian University Degrees and Diplomas
The Australian university degrees and diplomas mainly include the following categories:
– Bachelor degree certificate: Generally issued by universities. The structure of a bachelor’s degree in Australia is determined by the field of study and related departments, including a general bachelor’s degree and an bachelor’s degree (honours). A general bachelor’s degree usually refers to a general or basic degree that students must obtain before pursuing a graduate degree. The courses are usually three-years, and some bachelor’s courses are four-years in length. An honours bachelor’s degree generally requires four years of study. Students must obtain excellent results in a general bachelor’s degree course. The additional year of study generally involves professional study in a certain course, including research and submission of a thesis.
– Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma: Graduate Certificate and Postgraduate Diploma are mainly suitable for specific professional study, such as the expansion of knowledge and skills acquired in undergraduate courses, or the development of new professional fields. The postgraduate certificate program generally lasts for one semester. The postgraduate diploma course is two semesters. Students graduating from a bachelor’s degree are eligible to apply for such courses. However, some universities will also consider applicants who have relevant work experience but do not have a bachelor’s degree.
– Master’s degree: A master’s degree generally requires four years of study or an honours degree followed by one year, or two years after obtaining a three-year degree, but the requirements for different subject areas are different. There are basically two types of master’s degrees in Australia, one is a research (by research) master and the other is a taught master (by coursework).
– Doctoral degree: In Australia, the most common doctoral degree is the Doctor of Philosophy, which mainly involves the research of literature reviews, experiments or other systematic methods in related fields of knowledge. This kind of degree is generally required to study after obtaining a master’s degree or an honours bachelor’s degree, and the course length is generally three years.
5. Semester Time
Australian universities are generally divided into two semesters, the first semester is from mid-February to late June, the second semester is from mid-July to the end of November, and December and January are summer vacations. The university implements a credit system, and students can graduate after completing the required compulsory and elective courses. Student performance is divided into 5 levels: fail, pass, intermediate, good and excellent.
This is a brief introduction to Australian education system. This education system is internationally recognized and has cultivated a great number of talents in different fields. It is an excellent education system.